Do not panic already. If you are a taxi driver do not re invent the wheel If your business is management consultant by a pen and use it to invent new solution for your client do not re invent the pen but if you are a chef re invent the chicken soup
According to Genrich S. Altshuller the father of the theory of inventive problem solving (TRIZ) there are five levels of problem solutions
- Level one. Routine design problems solved by methods well known within the speciality. No invention needed. About 32% of the solutions fell into this level.
- Level two. Minor improvements to an existing system, by methods known within the industry. Usually with some compromise. About 45% of the solutions fell into this level.
- Level three. Fundamental improvement to an existing system, by methods known outside the industry. Contradictions resolved. About 18% of the solutions fell into this category.
- Level four. A new generation that uses a new principle to perform the primary functions of the system. Solution found more in science than in technology. About 4% of the solutions fell into this category.
- Level five. A rare scientific discovery or pioneering invention of essentially a new system. About 1% of the solutions fell into this category.
So re inventing the wheel dos not mean to go through a superficial process to apply to find a solution that is already known to others if it work for us but to bring a real new solution to a problem that non of the known solution could solve it the right way.
If the reader old enough he will remember that indexing web pages in a search engine used to be don manually and now web crawler doing it for us, he will remember that we let every thing with tungsten light bulb that consume energy and generate heat, and now we us LED and so on.
let us reinvent the wheel only in our field of work to become market leader instead of market followers but when it comes to some thing out of our domain let us buy the bread from the baker..